Tour day of Tybee Island

Monday 11/4/13 we figured would be a good day to drive to Tybee Island to see what it had to offer. So after a long walk with Jack and a little time on the computer trying to figure out just where we will head next we jumped in the Jeep about 11am and headed out.

Once on the island our first stop was the visitor center to find out a little about the area.

The name “Tybee,” like the history of the Island itself, has many interpretations. Most historians believe “Tybee” is derived from the Native American Euchee word for “salt” – one of many local, natural resources that played important roles in the Island’s history.

Spanish explorers were searching for riches in the New World, and in 1520, Lucas Vasquez de Ayllon laid claim to Tybee as part of Spain’s “La Florida” –- an area that extended from the Bahamas to Nova Scotia.

In 1605, the French were drawn to Tybee in search of Sassafras roots, considered to be a miracle cure at that time. The Spanish would fight the French in a naval battle just off shore to Tybee to regain control over the area.

For many decades pirates visited the Island in search of a safe haven and hiding place for treasure. Tybee and other remote islands were also a source of fresh water and game.

Superior French and British settlements eventually forced Spain to relinquish their claim on Tybee and other islands. In 1733 General James Oglethorpe led the settlement of this area, which was called Savannah because of the vast marshlands and tall grass. The new colony of Georgia was named in honor of King George of England.

Tybee was extremely important because of its location at the mouth of the Savannah River. In 1736, Oglethorpe had a lighthouse and a small fort constructed here to insure control of river access. Also in 1736, John Wesley, the “Father of Methodism,” said his first prayer on the American Continent at Tybee. Tybee would play a significant role throughout Georgia and U.S. history.

During the Revolutionary War, Tybee was the staging area for French Admiral D’Estaing’s ill-fated 1779 “Siege of Savannah,” when combined multinational forces attempted to defeat the British held Savannah. During the War of 1812, the Tybee Island Lighthouse was used to signal Savannah of possible attack by the British. Though no such attack took place, a “Martello Tower” was constructed on Tybee to provide protection in guarding the Savannah River. On the western end of the island, an area known as a “Lazaretto”, a variation of an Italian word meaning ‘hospital for the contagious’, was established to quarantine slaves and other passengers who might be carrying diseases. Tybee would be the final port of call for many of those quarantined there.

Tybee also played an important military role at the outbreak of the American Civil War. First, Confederates occupied the Island. In December of 1861, the Rebel forces, under orders from Robert E. Lee, withdrew to Fort Pulaski to defend Savannah and the Savannah River. Union forces commanded by Quincy Adams Gilmore took control of Tybee and constructed cannon batteries on the west side of Tybee, facing Fort Pulaski about one mile away. On April 11th, 1862, those cannon batteries fired a new weapon called “Rifled Cannon” at Fort Pulaski and changed forever the way the world protected coastal areas. Within 30 hours, the rifled guns had such a devastating effect on the brick fort, that it was surrendered. All forts like Pulaski suddenly became obsolete.

After the Civil War, Tybee became popular with Savannah residents who escaped the city heat, seeking the cool ocean breezes on the Island. There were very few year-around residents before the 1870s, but by the 1890s, there were more than 400 beach cottages and other buildings for summer residents.

In 1855, Fort Screven was built on the north end of Tybee to provide more modern coastal defense. Six poured-concrete, low-profile gun batteries and a minefield, along with hundreds of other military buildings, were constructed. Gun batteries were named to honor America’s war heroes. From 1897 to 1947, Fort Screven was an integral part of America’s Coastal Defense system. In 1947, the Fort was closed and sold to the Town of Tybee and tourism returned as a major part of Tybee’s history.

In 1961, Battery Garland, the former gun battery and magazine storehouse for a 12-inch long-range gun, became the Tybee Island Museum. Rooms which once stored six hundred pound projectiles and two hundred pound bags of gun powder now hold the collections and exhibits of over four hundred years of Tybee Island history.


The first thing we did after the visitor center was tour the lighthouse. And here is a link that tells about the lighthouse

Looking up at the dome of the Lighthouse

Looking up at the dome of the Lighthouse

Once we paid our $9 entry fee (each) we walked to the lighthouse so we could climb the 178 steps to the top. As soon as we entered a guide asked if we were informed that it was a bit windy up top today?? We responded with a ,, no. It turns out the wind speed up top was 35mph. Ok, that isn’t that strong but just strong enough that when you are standing on a fairly narrow walkway with a guardrail that hits you waist high at 145ft above the ground it adds just a little to the experience LOL!!

A shot from the top of the Lighthouse

A shot from the top of the Lighthouse

It was strong enough that when I turned my back to the wind it made me take a unexpected step,, that made me laugh a little as I looked over the railing LOL!

Looking down from the Lighthouse

Looking down from the Lighthouse

After a few pictures and admiring the view we made our way down and toured the remaining buildings by the lighthouse and watched a short film before heading across the street to Fort Screven to tour the museum. And here is a link to it in case our interested.

Hey Mo!!! Diane said if she had to wear this 1940's getup she probably would give up diving!! The helmet alone is 31 1/2lbs.

Hey Mo!!! Diane said if she had to wear this 1940’s getup she probably would give up diving!! The helmet alone is 31 1/2lbs.

Look how long that gun is!! My wing span is 6ft so it has to be over 8'

Look how long that gun is!! My wing span is 6ft so it has to be over 8′

After the museum we walked out to the beach. It was pretty darn windy on the beach as well and the sand certainly isn’t what we experienced in the Myrtle Beach area. It is a lot more course and just seemed dirty.


I think the Tybee Island beach front was a lot more years ago. Not so much now. Just our opinion.

I think the Tybee Island beach front was a lot more years ago. Not so much now. Just our opinion.


But we did see 3 guys out kite surfing!! You wouldn’t catch me out there but Diane almost tried it a few years back while in Hawaii.


After Tybee we headed home,, took a walk and a bike ride and called it a night.

This entry was posted in A little about us. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s